Wood Floor Staining
Stains are used to alter the colour of the wood. (eg darkening a pine floor). Unlike paint, stains enhance the wood grain rather than hide it.
- Wood floor staining and varnishing in two distinct stages is preferable to using a coloured varnish. You will maintain far greater control over the colour and enhance the durability of the sealant. The gradual wearing away of the varnish or sealant will not affect the floor colour beneath.
- You may also choose to paint your floor or to apply a coloured wax (such as Blanchon lime wax) for a soft tinting effect through which you can see the wood grain.
- We recommend coloured wax for floors with dull, washed colours or to better match your home interior. You quickly lend some colour to your room and get a floor that looks completely different at an affordable price.
- As well as the traditional solvent and oil-based wood stains, we also use odour-free, water-based pigments stains. These offer a wide range of colours from traditional wood colours to contemporary pigmenting: eg white, red, blue or even pink!.
- Floor stains are applied by hand or roller and take at least eight hours to dry.
The even look of a gap-filled floor is pleasing to the eye but not always necessary. Filling gaps does stop draughts and prevents the build-up of dust between the gaps. It also tightens the floor and helps prevent timber movement.
- We use traditional methods of gap filling depending on the width of the gap and the expected floor traffic:
- Resin is mostly used on parquet and mosaic floors where there are lots of fine gaps. Fine dust from the floor is mixed with a resin and applied to the gaps with a filling knife.
Solid filling strips of reclaimed pine and other timbers are glued, forced into the gaps, and chiselled back before sanding flat.
Email or phone us to arrange a free assessment of your wooden floor. We can also show you a range of coloured waxes and stains – to help you choose those that meet your needs.
Call for a free no-obligation quote 01244315565 or click the link for a consultation call back
If you’d like to see more before and after photos, click below to see our Facebook account: